Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 06: Something that excites me and fills me with joy.

Although I am a happier and more content person these days than I ever was previously, I'm not sure if there is anything that truly excites me beyond brief bursts of excitement here and there.


However, there is one thing with which I consistently find joy and that is cats. No, I'm not quite a "crazy cat lady", but I have loved cats my entire life. There is just something about them that fills me with contentment and calms me in a way nothing else can. 


We have three, my daughter and I. There have been few years when I didn't have a cat. For me, there is nothing that compares to having a cat love you and demonstrate that love to you. Unlike dogs, cats don't feel the need to always have your attention. They are very independent and often considered to be aloof. I've only had a couple who I considered to be aloof. The others have been very demonstrative in their affection. When a cat loves you, it is their choice and, usually, it develops over time. They'll even talk with you when they're happy to see you.


I've known for years what doctors have only recently proven - that petting a cat is soothing and can lower blood pressure. Even now, as I write, I have a cat in my arms between me and the computer, lying curled up with her head on my right arm and her back against my chest purring loudly. The movement of my arm as I key these words bobs her head up and down, but she doesn't seem to mind. She continues purring and is content to stay curled up here. What's interesting is that she is one of the few cats I've had that I consider aloof. She won't allow anyone to hold her, including me. If I were to pick her up from where she is now, she would begin to growl at me to be put down. Yet, minutes later, she'd jump back up and lie down in my arms, again purring. For her, it is entirely on her terms or not at all - which is why her wanting to snuggle is so much more meaningful. She has made the choice herself - she hasn't had the decision made for her.


All I can say is that there is just something about a cat that I'd rather not live without, that always brings a smile to my face and pleasure to my heart.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home