Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day 13 (10): Discuss some of the things on your bucket list.

I don't have a bucket list. To have a bucket list is to think about the day I'll die. I try not to do that. I may know it will happen, but I'd really rather not think about it, so I live each day as though I have all the time in the world.


However, I have already been able to do some things that others might consider bucket list items. Like getting to see Paris. In Springtime, at that! My very first trip to Europe was over Memorial Day weekend in 2001. It wasn't a long trip, but it sure was a great trip! I want to go back, but things have taken place in the meantime that make that more difficult, the least of which is that neither he nor I are working at the moment. 


I also got to go to Northern Ireland and saw the church where my mother's great-grandparents were married. She had always wanted to go to Ireland. It was her dream, but it didn't come to fruition. My aunt and her husband got to go, but they didn't know what part of Ireland the family was from. Still, Mom's sister got there and she didn't. However, by the time I got to go, I had discovered where Robert and Catherine were married and where their three Irish-born children were baptized, so I was able to actually go to the locations and when I came back, could tell my mother what I saw. By the time I went, she had lost her eyesight, so I became her eyes. She wanted to know if it looked like she saw on television (she had limited peripheral vision, so she could see large images) and, thankfully, I was able to tell her that, yes, the area where her family lived did look like the images she'd seen on television.


So, I guess if I were to have a bucket list, I've already crossed several items off. I'm happy I was able to go and would like to go again (I have some of Mom's ashes I want to place in the graveyard of the church over there), but I'm not trying to cram every single thing that would be nice to do into a short period of time.


Neither do I have any remote desire to skydive, mountain climb, scuba dive or any other potentially dangerous thing. Accelerating the process just isn't on my itinerary.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home